Okay, so after cleaning extensively with BrakeKleen, Q-tips and scotch brite, I wasn't satisfied with my brakes and piston's condition, so I I decided not to rebuild my very old LD-19s. I ordered AP aluminum calipers, and finally, finally they came in, at the last minute. But they don't fit my car. So I overnighted new pistons and seals, and the first thing I saw was a warning to not use petroleum cleaners on brakes or they would ruin the seals. Use soap and water, they said. Well, I already blasted Brakekleen through all the ports, 6-8 weeks ago. So, I says to myself, it's called BRAKEkleen, right? Probably didn't hurt the seals inside. Cross my fingers and pray some. But to clear any debris from the Scotchgaurd pad, I washed the calipers with soap and water, like they said. Totally predictably, they formed an instantaneous layer of oxidation, everywhere I could see, and all those interior places that I can't see, too. See the picture below. It wipes out some, but not much, and of course, not at all inside the caliper, since I didn't split them.
So my options are
1] Flush with brake fluid, trust that BrakeKleen didn't ruin the old interior seals, and the oxidation won't cause problems, rebuild them and give it a go. or
2] Order 4 new LD-19s that fit the car, bolt and bleed on haul-out day, with no testing, and a big bill [offset by the return of the Aluminum Aps]
Any thoughts, recommendations, or other options come to mind?
Thanks for the input
So my options are
1] Flush with brake fluid, trust that BrakeKleen didn't ruin the old interior seals, and the oxidation won't cause problems, rebuild them and give it a go. or
2] Order 4 new LD-19s that fit the car, bolt and bleed on haul-out day, with no testing, and a big bill [offset by the return of the Aluminum Aps]
Any thoughts, recommendations, or other options come to mind?
Thanks for the input
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire