mercredi 20 mai 2015

I'm Vee curious

Hello friends. Total noob here. I've been thinking lately about completely forfeiting my self image and trying some real auto racing in a real race car. I've messed with, and drag/street raced hot rods/musclecars most of my life, and even done a bit of novice autocrossing in a Camaro, which I like very much, but I think I'd like to try real wheel to wheel racing in an open wheel car, and formula vee seems like the smart stepping in point. I'd really like some advice in the following areas.

1. What should I buy? I love vintage anything, so I'm very attracted to the older stuff and the idea of vintage racing. I enjoy turning my own wrenches and am probably technically capable of, and willing to tackle, a full resto of an older car. Locally, (I live in Huntsville, Abalama) there are a couple of machines for sale. One is advertised as a Bobsy, and looks like an overpriced basket case. Search Birmingham AL Craigslist to see. The other is a D13, which needs work, although I very much like the Caldwell's sleek, low slung profile. I also think this car is overpriced. You'll also see it when you search the Birmingham Craigslist. Though I'll probably suck at driving, I'd like a car that has the potential to be competitive in whatever races I can worm my way into. I'll probably be selling my beloved Honda Interceptor to finance this venture, so I'd like to get into a running car for around 5k.

2. Fitment. I'm 74 inches tall in my Reeboks and currently trimming down from 250 pounds. With a 39 inch waist, I have no idea what I can expect to fit into. I plan to try squeezing into the local Caldwell, but I'm currently traveling on business in Tx. Perhaps you nice people can advise me as to whether a D13 is even an option for me or give me some reasonable options.

3. What are my race options living in Northern Alabama? I'm probably not going to be happy driving all over the country to run a race. A weekend trip is fine, but I'm getting a little old to drive all day and night to get to a track, then repeat to get home.

Please help me with these questions, and with the other questions that I'm too dumb to ask. Thanks in advance.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire