dimanche 2 août 2015

Daytona International Speedway "Rookie Orientation"

I wanted to start a thread for anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of running at The World Center of Racing...

This track is so different than about anything out there.
I'm hoping other seasoned vets will kick in some helpful tips.

In no particular order:

When on the banking, look very far ahead - you will need to angle your head back and turned to the left, because at a buck 30 /40 / 50 / 60 / 70(!), the limited view of the bowl directly ahead will be insufficient.

Pit lane speed limit starts earlier than you think - check the sups, but I believe it's pretty much the big "Union 76" orange ball on approach to pit lane.
I got in Biiiiiiiig trouble one year coming in at full chat. The in-car video of my official dressing down has never been put on Youtube!

The track food sucks. Horribly. Don't plan on visiting the concession unless you have a fetish for elementary school cafeteria food...

When running with other classes with enough of a top speed difference, "Slow and Low" is the order of the day.
Slow class cars are wasting time exiting the infield and driving out towards the wall.

I was at a Rider's Meeting at DIS one day, a lifetime ago on 2 wheels.
1990 Daytona 200 winner Dave Sadowski said pretty much the same thing.
I was running a 600/GTU class bike in the endurance when Sadowski came by me on a GTO Big, Built bike.
I'm 2 feet, 3 inches off the wall, and 'ski using up 2 feet 2 inches to squeeze by, left hand formed into a peace sign, w/ the other 3 fingers holding onto the bar.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire