lundi 1 septembre 2014

March 718 FFord info sought

Hi

I hope one of you can assist me with getting some info

I am attending Motorsport college in the UK and have an opportunity to work with a couple of racing guys to get some experience both hands on "spannering" in the shop and at the races and I have been told to buy the Carroll Smith Books to read and I need to look at using my initiative and do some research for problem solving.



From the last point I have been given the task by the owner of the March 718 he has bought and imported from East coast USA with tracking down some previous owner info and maybe some period race day photos.

The plan is to assist and be "on board" with the restoration of the car and I can use this project as a base for some college work and add to my CV



What we know so far

March 718-1 is the ex works March Formula Ford car raced in 70 and 71 in the UK by Bill Stone.

Sometime between 1972 and 1973 the March is sold out of the UK into USA but to whom we do not know.



The 2 log books are in the post but I do have a photo of the front covers with hand written names address on the cover

1 book is Race Car Club Of America with the name W Shafer Bailey Ave Oakland NJ I have googled the location to see it is north of NYC



1 book is SCCA with a name of Michael PO Box Audubon 08106 with a telephone number area code 609 putting it in Pleasantville near Atlantic city



Log book has the number 026 020 and the roll hoop is also stamped with this ID number which I am told is the SCCA number



The last owner Frank Maderi bought the car late 1988 raced it from 89 and he was also residing in the NY area. The car was painted Orange when he acquired it but he ran the car in grey primer as the car was sent to UK.

The tube frame chassis was painted dark blue but the car was originally battle ship grey when it was raced by Bill Stone.



The current owner has this past few days had contact from a guy in NZ who has acquired a WME March 729 chassis and with the exchange of basic March info turns out to have loaned to Bill Stone 2 years ago before the past away 18 months ago his lotus 69 to race and he was told a few things about this car being special with round tube construction compare dteh the production run of square tube.

Bill"s widow has also found some old 70/71 race photos which are great to look at and will assist with the cars restoration to its 70- 71 specification.



So I am hoping some of you can shed some light on the Log book info I have so far and when the books arrive I can look inside for some more info dates races etc?



I have stripped the chassis down and it is now sandblasted and I can see there has been a lot of accident damage and some yukky repair work to both the engine bay and the front left hand side. both the front tubes are heavily distorted squeezed out of shape so again I am hoping someone may know when the car was crashed.



I attach some photos for reference and any info will be appreciated in posting here or mail me direct 718march(AT)gmail.com

I will check in from time to time as the new term at college beckons.

Photos show the chassis logbooks and the car in the March stores in 70 or 71.




Attached Images





















File Type: jpeg chassis front.jpeg (102.7 KB)
File Type: jpeg chassis rear.jpeg (114.5 KB)
File Type: jpg sandblasted.jpg (177.2 KB)
File Type: jpg Log book.jpg (91.5 KB)
File Type: jpg car in stores.jpg (106.6 KB)






Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire