jeudi 25 février 2016

Class breakdown info for new racers

Hi Guys,

I was talking with some of my buddies the other day about why more people aren't getting into racing. One thing that came up is that the rules are confusing, and there isn't much basic info out there for someone who wants to get started. I know this was an issue for me at first, and I think it is probably even worse for someone who hasn't already spent a lot of time at the track like I had. Being relatively new to the wheel-to-wheel racing world, I just wanted to point out one of my major impressions:

It seems to me that one thing that would really help is a well documented breakdown of all the available classes and pictures/details of each one. Ideally this would be something that the SCCA/ICSCC/etc would post on their websites, and ideally could cover all the tin-top major class divisions as well.

For now though, I think a good place to start is the formula classes, which are a bit easier to tell apart from the production ones.

I don't think it would be a big deal to create a page with a listing of each current class, a few pictures of common cars, and couple paragraphs of details like: Size/weight/power/engine options, aero or not, relative lap times at short/long tracks, Basic rules summary (open/closed class, etc), approximate new/used car cost, approximate weekend cost range, general reliability details, etc.

I'm not a web developer guy, but I wouldn't mind spending some time to help compile some information if someone wants to set up a page somewhere. If this already exists, let me know that too.

I think there are a lot of guys my age and even younger that want to get into racing, but from the outside it is hard to learn about the options, costs, and how hard it is to get tech-ed and licensed. The general answer is "go to a race and snoop around", and I agree with that, but I did that and still didn't know everything I wanted to, and besides, my whole generation does pretty much everything on the Internet. I spent hours online trying to learn what I could, and was really disappointed at the lack of clear info. In the end, I had to buy a car and go race for a year to learn enough to know what I am talking about, and I am still learning more about some of the other classes than mine.

If we want more people to come race with us, I think better online support is a major factor that might make a real difference.

Anyway, if anyone has access to a website where this would be appropriate and is interested in setting up an info page, or if there are some SCCA officials on here, let me know what I can do to help make this happen!

Thanks,
Pat


Class breakdown info for new racers

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire