lundi 22 décembre 2014

Crossle upper a-arm ball joint?

Does anyone know what the source/model number of the upper a-arm ball joint that is used on the Crossle 32 (or others of similar vintage)?



My Royale uses a modified Triumph part (as does most of this era) where the bottom is turned to fit a large heim joint but the upper has a special adapter that fits the tapered seat and places the 1/2" heim up approx. 1". Vintage cars were originally set up for very high ride heights, and with my current setup(approx 2" ride height) the upper a-arms are running at a much more exaggerated angle than originally designed for. It is angled enough to make me worry about bottoming the joint out under full compression. I'm also quite sure that this lower ride height places the roll centers much lower than they should be.



My plan was to swap out my modified 'Royale' uprights for a set of Crossle 32 uprights that came with my parts stash. By relocating the lower ball joint to the Crossle location (approx. 1-1/4" lower) and mounting the top ball joint to the stock location on the Triumph upright I hope to get the a-arms (and roll centers) closer to where they would have been at a higher ride height - and also having the upper heim more in the 'center' location of its movement. There is another Royale (an RP3 which utilizes the same basic geometry as my RP16) in my area that uses a similar upright and he is quite competitive (but also much better driver than I....).



Since the Crossle uprights still use a tapered seat at the upper ball joint, and their a-arms use the same 1/2" female threads as my car, I was hoping to replace my heims with the 'automotive' style ball joints of the Crossle. I could either have another set of adapters made up to a lower height, or drill out the tapered seat to fit a straight bolt, but if the Crossle part is readily available I would like to go that route.



Is it a tie-rod end from a common street car (Cortina, or?), or is it a more robust joint used in an a-arm application?



-John




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire