jeudi 19 février 2015

Wheels gaining torque

So at Sebring a few weeks ago my crew noticed I had two cracked wheel cones - both rear wheels. Happily I was able to locate a couple of spares at the track (thanks Don, the replacements are on the way) and I was able to not worry about it for the rest of the weekend.



After the weekend, when removing the wheels, I noticed the rear wheel torque was significantly higher than the front wheel torque. (no numeric value, just a lot more "grunt" necessary to get them loose.)



15 years running this type of centerlock wheel and never had a cracked cone or noticed the difference front to rear in centerlock loosening effort.



What gives?



Some facts

Van Diemen RF01

OZ 5 spoke wheels

Torqued to 115 ft lb.

Little dab of never seez

Not cracked before the weekend.



I spoke to Brad Baytos about it when I ordered replacements and confirmed the torque value was in the acceptable range. He asked about my wheel bearings, which I checked for wiggle and noise and didn't notice anything.



Thoughts?



Thanks

John




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire