lundi 28 avril 2014

Tire Stagger and Corner Weights ...

My memory is fading. I'd like reminders about these two topics.



IIRC (and feel free to poke holes in these thoughts), for road racing with plenty of left and right turns, we generally don't want tire stagger. But we might want it for a track with predominantly (right/left) turns, like Lime Rock. For instance, you might want your two bigger tires on the outer side of the car.



And, if we buy a set of tires, we want to at least know if they are staggered, because where they are on the car will affect corner weights (and handling).



Reason for asking: At a recent race I bought new tires and didn't have a tape measure with me, so I asked to borrow one. The lender (sedan racer) thought I was nuts. I started to explain why and realized I wasn't completely clear about some of the aspects.



After thinking about it for awhile, I came up with these questions:


  1. If one of my new tires is slightly bigger than the other three, should I put it on the outside front?

  2. If the circumference is .5" bigger, is that significant enough to even notice a difference (on a scale platform or on the track)?

  3. Are today's tires (by Hoosier, etc.) consistent enough that we don't need to worry about it?

  4. If a car is pushing slightly before the apex (not allowing me to go full throttle as soon as I'd like), could spring perch changes (weight jacking) help?

  5. If yes, would you want to put more weight on the outside front tire (to give it more "influence"), or would you remove weight from it because it's got too much already and that's why it's pushing.


I know there are a thousand other variables affecting handling, but I'm interested to hear opinions about these two. TIA.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire